You’re at the right place to get started as a Better developer or inspector.
./install to set up your development environment.
For more information, see full installation details.
If you only want to help with inspections and not develop for the Better iOS App or Better Safari Extension, run:
This will install just the Better Inspector and Better Builder.
Full installation details
To get started as a Better inspector or developer, you do not have to worry about how everything works or needs to be set up.
Just clone this repository and run the
./install script and you’ll be good to go.
Once you’re up and running, however, it will help to have a better understanding of the important components and how they fit together.
A full installation of Better sets up the following components:
The installer creates a folder for Better content at
~/better.fyi with the following structure:
- content: content that you can see on better.fyi and in the app
- themes: the themes, which, when combined with the content (above) generate the site and app data (see below)
- data: the site and app data generated by the builder
- drafts: draft tracker and site entries created by the Inspector
- archive: HTTP Archive files saved by the Inspector from inspections and inquiries
Secondary components & content
You will also find a hidden
.private folder in
~/better.fyi which, under normal circumstances, you should not have to bother with.
The private folder has the following structure:
- content.git: the local bare git repository for the content
- themes.git: the local bare git repository for the themes
- data/app.git: the local bare git repository for the generated data for the app
- data/site.git: the local bare git repository for the generated data for the site
- config: stores configuration files (currently only for the builder)
- logs: logs (currently only for the builder)