Add sync support on Windows 10 via Portable Rsync With SSH For Windows
Currently, sync support is not available on Windows 10 as there is no native rsync support for Windows.
While researching possibilities for implementing sync support on Windows 10, I came across:
- cygwin: faff and a half to integrate.
- cwrsync: semi-commercial. Eurgh!
- cygrsync: free/open, no BS.
- One of the new cross-platform rsync clones in Rust (none can do rsync over ssh yet)
- Using sequest/ssh2 and doing the whole thing in JS (would require librsync implementation + more in JS. Huge amount of work.)
- ssh into the remote server and only rsync from there (reverse tunnel). This is not viable as it would require ssh daemon on client.
Have decided to go with something akin to number 3.
I've now created an up-to-date portable distribution of rsync and ssh based on the cygrsync blueprint and successfully managed to rsync from Windows to a Small Web instance running on Ubuntu 20.04. The project is here:
The next step is to bundle this into Site.js and test from there.